Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Field Day for Skye!


Today, Chef Carpenter said 2 of the sweetest words I've ever heard when he started his lesson: "Potato Cookery". :-D

Anyone that really knows me, knows that potatoes are probably my absolute favorite food. It's SO versatile!!! You can cook them 50 different ways, and each one can taste different.

Today, we made some rockin' Pommes Dauphinoise (dau-fin-nowa). Basically, potatoes au gratin. Cream, thinly sliced garlic, greuyere cheese, salt, pepper - what's not to love?? Delish!

Then, we moved onto Pommes Anna. That was pretty cool. We had to peel a few potatoes, and turn them into cylinders (for both dishes, actually). I cheated and used the vegetable peeler to assist with the cylindrical shape. Well... maybe not "cheated", so much as "was smarter and quicker than the rest of the class." ;) Hey - gotta put that $1k knife kit to good use!

We had to slice these cylinders into PAPER THIN slices. That was a little more difficult than I thought it would be, but I got it done. A small non-stick pan is first coated with a little clarified butter. Then you begin to layer the potato slices. One in the center, then around clockwise, then counterclockwise. Then salt & pepper. Just several layers of this. Then it goes onto the stovetop, over fairly high heat. You want to brown the bottom layer of potatoes. It stays on the stove for 7-8 mins, then into the oven for about 15. EASY, and beautiful!!!

It was a good day :)

Tomorrow's supposed to be hell, as well as Friday (another test day). I'll keep you posted.





1 comment:

arr-jay said...

When do you go back to class? I'm happy you've had a vacay (and hope you've enjoyed it), but I sure do miss reading your culinary blogs. :-)

Love you, sweet friend!